This article is about understanding the basics of SEO and its types.
First of all let’s clear the air about why there is so much buzz about SEO among online marketers.
So let me ask you few questions
- Do you want get sales/leads on autopilot even when you’re holidaying on a beach?
- What about waking up everyday with subscribers notification?
- Do you want all this without spending a dime on advertisements?
- How about google placing your website on the first page of the search result?
If you have answered YES!!! then let me tell you all this is possible by implementing SEO strategies.
SEO is a fundamental need for ranking your content in web searches.
But do you feel overwhelmed when you think about SEO (Search Engine Optimization)?
Maybe you hear the term SEO all the time but don’t know what it is exactly?
You must have seen experts stressing importance on SEO for building a profitable business/blog.
So when you know what is SEO let’s move on to it’s types.
“SEO is basically FREE advertising”
So let’s begin with the question “What is SEO?”
What is SEO (Search Engine Optimization)?
SEO stands for Search Engine Optimization, it is referred to the set of methods which increases
the traffic towards the website by increasing its search engine page ranking.
So basically you have to follow some rules and use some strategies on your web pages/blog posts to get the organic traffic from search engines to your website.
SEO stands for “search engine optimization.” It’s the practice of increasing both the quality and quantity of website traffic, as well as exposure to your brand, through non-paid (also known as “organic”) search engine results.
– as per moz.com
TYPES OF SEO
1. On-page SEO:
The SEO is done within the website like adding keywords to the Title, Metadata description, Slug, content, website structure, internal links, etc. Click here to read about on-page SEO in detail
- Add a title tag. You will need this on every page of your website, as this will show the search engines and your visitors what the page is about. It should be 70 words or less and include the keyword or key phrase that you want to rank for.
- Write a meta description. This is not always needed and is often ignored by the search engines. However, you can use it to explain in more detail what the webpage is about. Include the keyword or phrase within this description too.
- Create sub-headings. These make your content easier to read, plus helps improve your search engine rankings. You can use them to add additional keywords and key phrases into your content. This shows the search engines that you believe them to be important to your content.
- Build internal links. This technique can be powerful and may be strong enough to rank individual pages without any external (off-page) SEO. Just put a link in your smaller articles to a longer, more authoritative piece of content. This helps the longer content to rank higher.
- Use image name and ALT tags. Give each image on your website a name that includes your chosen keyword. When indexing the page, the search engines may rank these images when people search for that particular keyword.
- Avoid over-optimizing. When creating the content for your website, it’s important not to over-optimize the content. This means that it will benefit you to sparingly use the main keyword while including related keywords and phrases. You may be able to rank highly for these other keywords as well.
- Make your website mobile-friendly. These days, most searches and social media traffic will come from mobile devices. So, it’s important that your website works properly on mobile. If your website isn’t mobile-friendly, this will impact your user experience, and therefore your ranking signals, negatively.
2. Off-page SEO:
When the SEO is done outside the website. It means featuring your website on other online sources like write a blog post on any other website(guest blogger) or your website is linked backed from other trusted sources or websites.
If you consider both on-page and off-page SEO together it will help you rank your page in the top search results.
- You must build trust. Trust has become an important ranking factor. It shows the search engines that what you say is accurate and that visitors can trust your content. To develop trust, build high-quality backlinks from other trusted sources and ensure that your content is high quality and accurate.
- Build backlinks. Most SEO experts gain backlinks by building relationships with other websites. It’s crucial to avoid spamming your links or building them too quickly. This could result in your website becoming de-indexed, which is essentially being banned from the search engines.
- Get social signals. According to some SEO experts, getting likes and shares from social media may have an impact on your search engine rankings. So, it makes sense to create the most valuable content you can and share it with your own social media accounts, where others can like and share it too.
Now that you know what on-page and off-page factors affect your SEO efforts, you can make any necessary changes to your website, leading to a boost in rankings and sales.
Just remember that SEO takes time to work. It won’t happen overnight and may take many months for you to see the fruits of your labor. However, this effort will be worth it once you’re continuously getting targeted traffic from the search engines, with the sales that come with it!