This on-page SEO checklist will have 11 things that you should definitely do get the SEO done on your website.
But before we go through the checklist let’s talk about SEO.
When do you need an SEO to be done?
Once your website is live and running online the next step which is very important is SEO for your website.
But I have seen people ignoring this step may be due to
- Unaware of the importance of SEO
- As people don’t understand its importance they don’t want to spend money on it.
- You think it’s too tricky to do it and you are not so tech Savvy
Let me tell you that 93% of the organic traffic comes through search engines.
That’s a huge percentage to ignore.
Spending money on SEO will worth a single penny you spend on it.
Of course, I know not everyone is Tech savvy.
So, No worries.
You can hire an SEO expert who can do this for you.
But before you hire someone I would suggest you learn the basics of SEO so that you know what all needs to be done by the person you hired.
Let’s get some basic knowledge about SEO.
What is SEO?
SEO stands for Search Engine Optimization, it is referred to the set of methods which increases the traffic towards the website by increasing its search engine page ranking. Now, these set of methods can be like building a search engine optimized website, adding keywords, content quality, inbound and outbound links etc.
In simple terms optimizing your website content so that search engine bots can easily find and rank your web pages.
How many types of SEO are there?
There are two ways of doing SEO
- On-page SEO: The SEO is done within the website like Title, meta tag, keywords, website structure, internal links etc.
- Off-page SEO: The SEO is done outside the website. This means featuring your website on other online sources like writing a blog post on any other website(guest blogger) or your pages are linked back to your website from other trusted sources or websites
If you consider both on-page and off-page SEO together it will help you rank your page in the top search results.
But if you are starting new in the online world or market you should first start with on-page SEO.
There are so many things that you can do on your website to get started with SEO.
So, here is a checklist for you to implement on-page SEO on your website without missing an important step.
Checklist for on-page SEO
- Research keywords: Let me first define What is a keyword? Keywords are the key words or terms that searchers use to search for a topic on the search engines. First of all research, some top searched keywords for your web pages using the keyword research tool like Google Keyword Planner, SEMrush etc. It will give you an idea that how many many people are searching for a particular keyword. You can include the most searched keyword on your page/post.
Enter the Keyword in below SEMrush SEO tool and get the top 10 SEO keywords results.
2. Long tail keywords: Use long tail keyword for the Titles. Long tail keyword means 3-4 words keyword which is very specific to the content/purpose of your page or what you’re selling.
For example, My keyword for this post is “on-page-seo-checklist-2018” not just “SEO” or “seo-checklist”.
3. Meta description: Meta description is a short 160 character snippet which describes the page content. Search engines show this description in the search results so that the visitors know what a page is about before clicking on it. Add Meta description tags which includes keywords as well. Meta description can increase the click rate if you write the most appealing content or CTA.
4. Slug: If you are new to SEO you must be wondering What is a Slug?
let me define the term slug for you “A Slug is the part of the URL which identifies the page/post. “
For example:- In this URL https://techygrrrl.com/about the word “about” is a slug.
Similarly, for this blog post, the current URL is https://techygrrrl.com/on-page-seo-checklist-2018/ here the term “on-page-seo-checklist-2018” is a Slug.
a. You should always add the long tail keywords to the slug.
b. Try to keep it short.
c. Avoid page no. or date in the URL.
5. Content: The content on the page should be well structured and have keywords in it. Especially first paragraph (within 100 words) must have a keyword. Try to use the keyword at least 2-3 times on the entire post.
6. Headings: The content of your page or post should have main heading using H1 and Subheading H2 tags.
7. Content-Length: Try to have the word length of more than 800. ( Long posts or pages are given priority over the short posts or pages)
8. Inbound Links: Link your content internally. Try to put at least 1-2 links on every page that links to other web pages of the website.
9. Outbound Links: Provide links to external websites as well and make sure these external links are related to content on your page. This makes your page a hub for useful links and content and builds trust among search engines.
10. Image SEO: Search engines not only crawl the text, keywords on your web pages but image file names as well. So, if you are not taking care of the image file name on your website then you are at loss. Add ALT text to the images and makes sure that ALT text should contain the keywords.
11. Sitemap: Sitemap.xml is a file where you can list all the pages of your website to tell Google and other search engines about structure and information of your website content. I have used the Yoast SEO plugin to generate the sitemap.xml file. If you are not using WordPress this website will help you create a sitemap.xml file
12. Search Console: search console or webmaster is a FREE service from Google that will let you submit your website and sitemap to it. You can then use it to maintain and monitor your website online presence. Here is the link for the search console.
Save this pin