The major difference between WordPress.org and WordPress.com is about how it is hosted.
WordPress.com It is a site that distributes WordPress software as a service (SAAS) application for Free or paid. It is owned and hosted online by Automattic.
WordPress.org It is an application that can be downloaded for free!! from WordPress.org. It is totally free of cost but you need to purchase a hosting service to install and set it up.
It is very important to understand the difference between the two because it may lead you to purchase the one you didn’t want.
Let me help you decide between WordPress.com or WordPress.org.
So, Let’s start going through the below points.
- It is owned and hosted by Automattic
- Therefore, No need for purchasing a hosting.
- Also, it comes with pre-installed WordPress.
- It starts with a Free plan and the website name shows WordPress.com which is attached to the website name. Ex: Techygrrrl.Wordpress.com
- Users do not get the give full control to the website.
- Also, you won’t be able to upload or install all the plugins or themes.
- Limited website customization options
- Migration to other hosting in future is not easy because you don’t get full control over the data of your website
- You can’t access your website database because of the limited rights.
- Here you don’t get access to edit the PHP code(backend code)
- To monetize your website you will need a premium theme.
- To set up Google Analytics on your website you will need a Business theme
WordPress.org – Self-hosted WordPress
- You can host your website on any of the hostings of your choice (I will recommend Siteground).
- Need to purchase a hosting from a service provider.
- You need to install the WordPress hence you will need to purchase a hosting
- WordPress software is free for download.
- You can use any WordPress theme or plugin
- Gives you full control and flexibility on the website
- You will be responsible for maintaining the website on the server.
- Provides unlimited website customization options hence you can customize your theme the way you want.
- The process of website migration from one host to other is easy because you have full access to your website data.
- If you are a developer you can access the website database
- You can edit the PHP code of your website
- Bloggers and entrepreneurs can easily monetize your theme
- To monitor the traffic Google Analytics, Fb pixels etc on the website easily
- If you are looking for unlimited options to grow your blog (Monetizing, customization, adding the third party tools etc.) then go with self-hosted WordPress.
- If you don’t want to get into tech things or not interested in earning money easily via your blog then go with WordPress.com
If this post was helpful please do write in the comments below or pin it to share with others.